Sunday, September 30, 2012

Portobello Mushrooms with an Onion Brandy Sauce

I picked up some Portobello Mushrooms since they were on sale this past week and today they needed to be cooked. I decided to use some Boiler Onions and Basil as well. Enjoy this recipe, I know I enjoyed the cooking of it!












Ingredients:
Mushrooms:
4 Portobello Mushrooms
1/2 cup Port
Soy Sauce
Apple Cider Vinegar
Ground Black Pepper
Italian Herb Mix

Sauce:
5 Boiler Onions
1/2 cup Basil Leaves
1 shot Sherry
3 shot Brandy
Lime Juice
Soy Sauce
Apple Cider Vinegar
Ground Black Pepper
Sweet Paprika
Fennel Powder
Ground Allspice
Ground Cloves

I began by gathering my materials.


Then I got a small sauce pot put on the stove and shredded the Basil Leaves into it.


Second, I sliced the Boiler Onions after peeling them. Into the same pot they went.


I then poured in some Brandy. Just to be clear, I meant the liquor not the R&B singer.


Then I poured in some Sherry. Turn the heat to medium or so.


Now I added in about 2 spoonfuls of Lime Juice and a good 1/4 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar. I also added in all the spices. I was going for a more even amount of everything, but by accident I put in a little more Ground Cloves and Allspice. Turns out it worked pretty well.


Now let it cook at just below medium for awhile, stirring occasionally.

Turn your attention to your Portobello Mushrooms. In a large saucepan I poured in about a 1/2 cup of Port and the same for Apple Cider Vinegar. To this I added a splash of Soy Sauce. In went the Mushrooms, gill side down, once it started to boil.


On top of the Mushrooms I sprinkled Ground Black Pepper and a dash of Italian Herb Mix.


Oooo! Look at that sauce cook! Stir it some more!


Flip your Mushrooms over about 3 minutes after you start them cooking.


They should cook for a few more minutes, or until they are spongey which means they are done. Turn to your sauce now and turn it off. Put the sauce mix into a food processor and take a bad photo like me.


Puree it until somewhat smooth. Now cut your Portobello Mushrooms into strips and plate. Add the sauce however you want it. I added a pinch of Italian Herb Mix to it. Enjoy.




No comments:

Post a Comment