Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Lentil Soup

I have had my mind on whipping up some Lentil Soup for quite awhile, just never really mustered up the motivation to go through with it. Well, that time came this afternoon while I was food shopping. I needed to pick up just a few more things to make it happen, so I most certainly did just that!




Ingredients:
1 cup Red Lentils
1 cup Brown Lentils (regular)
5 Carrots
2 White Onions
6 Garlic Cloves
1/2 cup Olive Oil
6 cups Water
1/3 cup Cilantro Leaves
6 Basil Leaves
Italian Herb Mix
Fennel Powder
Fenugreek Powder
Ground Black Pepper
Sea Salt
Ancho Chili Powder
Sweet Paprika
1 can Tomato Paste

I began by assembling the ingredients.


I then diced the Onions and Carrots. To keep them from investigating the kitchen, I rounded them up into a metal mixing bowl.


Now I also peeled my Garlic Cloves at this point and chopped them up.


Now put a large saucepan or medium to large sauce pot on the stovetop and turn the heat to medium. You will pour in your 1/3 cup of Olive Oil at this point.


Once it begins to get hot, grab your trusted mixing bowl and put the diced Onions and Carrots in.


Once the Onions began to caramelize, I added some shredded Basil Leaves, Cilantro Leaves, and the Garlic Cloves. Then I mixed them in.


Now comes the seasoning part. I did the dusting of Italian Herb Mix first.


Then I had pre-mixed the rest of the spices together. Only a pinch or so each.


Then I mixed them in and marveled at how great the food looked.


At this point, add in your 2 cups of Lentils and Water. I started with 4 cups of Water in there until some had boiled away. Then I put in approximately 2 more cups while it cooked. Also, add the Tomato Paste at this point.


Put a timer to 60 minutes and let it start the final countdown. You should simmer it for the majority of this time, however I had it just above simmer so it would cook quicker. I was hungry, what can I say? Well, it finished about 10 minutes early.

This is what it looked like when done.


Then all you have left to do is plate and serve it. Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment