Thursday, September 20, 2012

Chef's Original: Chicken & Rice with Spicy Onion Sauce

After cooking and serving the previous recipe, I decided that I needed to cook myself dinner still! How could I forget!?! So I looked in the fridge and spice rack; I had enough for many dishes. I thought that an original dish would fill my stomach quite nicely.





Ingredients:
Sauce:
4 Green Onions/Scallions
1 Red Onion
Grape Tomatoes
Olive Oil
Italian Herb Mix
Ground Black Pepper
Paprika
Fennel Powder
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder

Rice:
Using a Rice Cooker
2 cups Medium Grain White Rice
2.5 cups Water
2 spoonfuls Soy Sauce
1 spoonful Teriyaki Sauce
dash of Lime Juice
1/5 cup Italian Herb Mix

Chicken:
3 Chicken Breasts
1.5 cups White Wine (I used Pino Grigio!)
dash of Lime Juice
dash of Teriyaki Sauce
1/4 stick Butter
Italian Herb Mix
Ground Black Pepper
Fennel Powder
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder

I know that looks like a huge massive list of ingredients, however a few do overlap! Don't let it turn you away from this dish, it is amazing!

I began by starting the sauce, since it would take the longest. I grabbed a small sauce pot and put it on the burner with the heat at medium. I added to this a large dash of Olive Oil. I then turned to my cutting board and proceeded to chop up the Red Onion into very small pieces. After that, the same to the Green Onions. Once both of those were in the pot, I added the spices. A large amount of Italian Herb Mix to start off with, which I topped with a decent dusting of Garlic, Onion, and Fennel Powder. Ground Black Pepper was lightly dusted on top of everything. To top it off, I put in about 3 spoonfuls of Paprika, possibly a little bit more. Make sure to stir this while attending to the other parts of this recipe. I love the taste of Paprika, but after this dish I might have to take a siesta for awhile!


I stirred it all together and kept the heat at medium without covering it.


I turned my attention to the Rice next. This part is very simple since I am using a Rice Cooker. Literally, all I had to do was put in the ingredients listed above in that exact order, put the lid on, plug it in, and turn it to 'cook'. When it's done, it changes to 'warm' so you don't have to pay it any more attention! How great is that!?

Alright, now to the main event: Chicken. I bought a package of Chicken Breasts at the store today which contained 3 breasts. I took these out and trimmed them up quite well. I then turned to my large saucepan, which I put in the ingredients as per the order listed (not including chicken breasts obviously!). I used a dusting of the Garlic and Onion Powder, while I used a larger dusting of the Fennel Powder. Barely a dusting of the Ground Black Pepper and a few large pinches of the Italian Herb mix. Set the heat to medium. Once the Butter begins to melt, you will notice where it is since the Wine and spices cover everything in the saucepan. Once you notice it boiling up, put in the Chicken Breasts.


Wait about 2 minutes, then flip the Chicken Breasts.


Now that the Chicken is cooking nicely, turn back to the sauce. At this point I added in some Grape Tomatoes. I want to say I added in about 8 of them, halved. Stir. Let them cook for a few minutes then turn the burner off.


Flip the Chicken Breasts.

Plug in your food processor and pour in the mixture for your sauce. I use a small processor and this filled about 2/3 of mine, so if you have a larger one don't worry.


Now you puree the life out of the sauce mixture, possibly add in another dash of Italian Herb Mix to even the flavor out. Puree some more.

Now set the sauce to the side after taking a taste. It should taste sweet and slightly spicy at first, then hit you about 2 seconds later with some tangy spiciness. That means it's great sauce.

Ok, your Chicken Breasts should either be done or close to it at this point. Cut the thickest one open to check. If they are not done, let them cook more. If they are done turn off the heat and take them off.

At this point, your rice should be done. It might have been done for awhile. I do have a piece of advice though, if you like your rice not to be sort of dry you might want to just unplug it when it is done cooking.

I then just put the Rice down first on the plate, then the sliced Chicken Breasts pieces, followed up by some delicious Sauce. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment