Saturday, September 22, 2012

Chili: The Second Coming

Today I thought that since Autumn is closely approaching, that I should cook up some Chili once again. I could say that I cooked up this Chili because the weather is getting cooler and all, however this is Texas where it doesn't cool down much for another month or two. I felt that I have been too long without quality Chili and it seemed like a good weekend to do so.

Ingredients
1 lb Ground Beef
5 LG Tomatoes
1 LG White Onion
2 Green Bell Peppers
3 Poblano Peppers
1 Jalapeno Pepper
1 cup Basil Leaves
1 cup Green Onions / Scallions
1 can Tomato Sauce
2 cans Black Beans
2 cans Kidney Beans
1/4 stick Butter
2 cups Red Wine
1/2 cup Lime Juice
Italian Herb Mix
Dill
Onion Powder
Garlic Powder
Cumin/Coriander Mix
Smoked Hot Spanish Paprika
Fennel Powder
Ground Black Pepper
Sea Salt
Ancho Chili Powder
Lowry's Seasoning
Secret Spice Mix!

I started by gathering all my ingredients and food processor together.


I then proceeded to use my food processor to puree all 5 LG Tomatoes and put them into a plastic mixing bowl.


Now, my stockpot I put in a 1/4 stick of regular Butter and turned the heat to medium. I waited until the Butter started to melt significantly and added in the pound of Ground Beef. I used a spatula to mix it into the Butter, and added a good dusting of Lowry's Seasoning at this point. Mix it all again.


Now that it's cooking, add in your Lime Juice while mixing it around. I also added in all the spices at this point, which sort of mellows the entire spiciness of at the end. I put in just a pinch of the Dill and Sea Salt. The Italian Herb Mix I used was only about 1 cup. As for the rest of the seasonings, use as much as you want. I put in quite a lot of them considering they will be the spices for the entire pot of chili.


Once the meat appears to be mostly browned, if not appearing blackened, pour in your pureed Tomatoes.


Mix well. Turn your heat to a little bit below medium.


Now, using the food processor puree your LG White Onion. Pour this into the pot and then mix well.


Next, I used some fresh Basil Leaves and shredded them using the food processor. Then I added them directly into the pot.


After that, I grabbed my Scallions and proceeded to chop them up and threw them into the pot.


Now, I diced up the Green Bell Peppers and then pureed them in the food processor. In they went to the pot. Oddly enough, they change color from green to an almost white/seafoam green color when pureed.


Now it's the pepper's turn. I chopped up the Poblano Peppers and Jalapeno together in the food processor. In they went.


Finally, it was just time to add the canned beans. First Kidney Beans.


Second the Black Beans. I did not take a picture of the Tomato Paste going in since it disappears right away anyway.


Here I put in the Secret Spice Mix. Which isn't all that secret. It's the mix I use for Chili, Steak, Burgers, and sometimes Pork Chops. A combination of garlic salt, lowry's, black pepper, turmeric, curry powder, paprika, sea salt, cumin/coriander, and basil. I only used 2 spoonfuls of it.


Now let it come to a boil. Mix it up together and mostly cover it. Turn the heat down to simmer or a little higher.


I checked on it 10 minutes later and mixed it together.


I mixed regularly and then checked about an hour later.


Now, at this point I tasted it. YUM! Time to serve.



Yes, that is a delicious beer that was needed while devouring this Chili. I believe it was a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, which makes a great pairing in my opinion. Enjoy...I know I did!





No comments:

Post a Comment