Saturday, September 15, 2012

Chef's First: Clams

This morning I took a trip to Central Market, a very amazing grocery type store close by. Here I decided to grab a lot of things I am not that used to cooking, which ended up being lots of things I've used before and clams. How does one cook clams I wondered, so I bought a 1/2 pound to see how it goes.



Ingredients:
1/2 lb small Clams
1/2 stick Butter
1/2 cup White Wine
1/2 cup Olive Oil
6 diced Garlic Cloves
1 diced White Sweet Onion
Italian Herb Mix
Sea Salt
Linguine Pasta
Parsley

This recipe is fairly simple and yields great results. I started by cleaning the Clams themselves with a brush to get rid of as much grit on them as possible. This takes a few brushings and is simple to do.

Once that was done, I decided to serve these Clams up on some Linguine Pasta. I leave the amount up to you as I have no idea exactly how much I used. So a pot on the side with water, some Sea Salt, and a bunch of Italian Herb Mix that the pasta went into once the water was boiling.


Now that that is going, to the clams! You have to dice up the Onion and Garlic beforehand. In a saucepan, put half of the butter you are going to use and all the olive oil in with the heat set to medium. Stir in about 1/2 of the diced onions and garlic. Wait until the onions start to go translucent to throw in the rest of the onions and garlic. At this point add in a light amount of Italian Herb Mix and a pinch or two of the Sea Salt. Put the clams in. I made sure none were touching each other. I also added in a little bit of fresh parsley.


Every once in awhile stir them around to make sure they continue to be coated with the olive oil mixture. Your pasta should be done around now, so strain that and put back into pot with cover to keep warm.


Once your clams begin to open up, that is the signal that they are done. So I dished the pasta out and arranged the clams on that, along with a garnish of parsley. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment