Sunday, October 7, 2012

Vegetable Irish Stew..or Soup?

Today I made a nice delicious dish of Irish Stew. Well, somewhat. That is the inspiration I had for it, along with the chilly weather we are getting here this weekend. I could just call it a Vegetable Stew but I like giving credit to the Irish for my inspiration. Cheers.


Ingredients:
1 Red Onion
1.5 lb Potatoes
1 lb Carrots
1 cup Scallions
1.5 cup Pearl Barley
Flax Seed
Rosemary
Sage
Parsley
Fennel Powder
Fenugreek Powder
Sweet Paprika
Italian Herb Mix
Ground Black Pepper
Sea Salt
Butter
2 qt Beef Stock

I began by gathering some of my ingredients. This really was a throw together as I found things in the fridge.


I then diced up the Red Onion and put that in the slow cooker along with about a half stick of Butter.


On top of that I put in the Sage Leaves, Parsley, and Rosemary. I also turned the heat on HIGH at this point.


On top of this, I added in the Pearl Barley and a half handful of Flax seeds.


Now, I chopped the Potatoes, Carrots, and Scallions up beforehand and only now get to putting them in. I like order, so I went with sliced Carrots first.


Then the Potatoes and Scallions.


Now I put on the spices. A dusting of each and a larger dusting of Italian Herb Mix.


Finally, I poured in my 2 qt container of Beef Stock.


Cover and let cook on High for about 3 hours or so. Then mix it up together.


Check on it about an hour after that. Taste test to see how the Carrots are doing. Carrots take longer to cook than the Potatoes, so you'll know all is done by tasting the Carrots.


If it's not done, then let it cook some more. Otherwise, just serve!



1 comment:

  1. Just what we are going to try for dinner, thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete