Thursday, October 18, 2012

Asparagus w/Fava Beans

I decided a nice non-meat dish was needed today. After work I went to Central Market to do a little grocery shopping. Right away I decided upon the Asparagus and Fava Beans. I was not sure what I would use them in just then, however I did have a few ideas. Once I got home, an idea popped into my head. This is the result.

Ingredients:
6 Fava Beans
1 lb Asparagus
1/2 stick Butter
Dill
Paprika
Ground Black Pepper
Garlic Salt
Fennel Powder
Italian Herb Mix

I began by gathering my ingredients.


My second step was to focus on the Fava Beans first. I began by peeling the bean casings themselves apart and taking out the beans. I also started a pot of water boiling with a dash of salt in it.


Now in go the beans once the water is boiling. Look, pretty.


Get a mixing bowl with some ice in it ready for the beans. They need this right after they are done cooking, which is only a minute or three.


Turn off the heat and strain the beans out into the bowl of ice. You can use ice water if you want, either way it works to cool them off somewhat. Once they are cool enough to the touch, you peel the shells off of the beans. It's pretty easy, just get one end of the casing off and squeeze the bean right on out.

Now turn your attention to the Asparagus. Cut off the base of the stalks. This isn't really needed but I find it solves the issue of having one end overdone and the other just barely cooked.

Start some butter melting in a large saucepan.


Then add the Asparagus.


I dusted with the Ground Black Pepper and Garlic Salt at this point.


Then I mixed it all together and added the Fennel Powder with a smaller dash of Dill. On top of that a nice sprinkling of Paprika.


Mix again. Cook this way for awhile until done. Taste test to make sure, should not be more than 8 minutes. Then serve. I used the Italian Herb Mix as a sprinkle once plated.



No comments:

Post a Comment