Saturday, October 6, 2012

Potato Soup

The past week or two we've been having very drastic temperature swings here in Texas. For instance, yesterday it was around 88 degrees F and today it's like 55 degrees F. That's crazy! So since it is fall, I figured that means it's Soup Season. Who doesn't love a good soup?

Ingredients:
2 oz or half stick Butter
2 White Onions
1.5 lb Potatoes
3 pints Chicken Stock
Sea Salt
Ground Black Pepper
Chives for garnish

I began by gathering my ingredients.


First step, finely chopping up the 2 White Onions. I chopped them up in large chunks and then used my food processor to finely chop them. Was a lot easier and less risk to my cutting off a finger. I also chopped the Potatoes up by hand as well, no picture since I totally forgot!


At this point I also got the Chicken Stock ready. I used a bullion cube since I did not have any stock ready. I usually buy the pre-made stock since I have not made my own before, seems like I'll have to get on that soon.


Now, start melting the Butter in a deep saucepan or sauce pot.


Once it begins to melt, add in your White Onions. About 2 minutes later, or when the Onions begin to caramelize, add in the diced Potatoes.


I chose to add the Sea Salt and Ground Black Pepper at this point as well. Choose however much you want as per your preference. I used about 2 pinches of Sea Salt. As for the Ground Black Pepper, I used a grinder which means my guess is only an estimate and I say about 4 pinches worth.


Mix it together, cover, reduce heat to a good simmer, and let them cook for about 10 minutes or until the Potatoes are soft.

Now, add in your Chicken Stock. This should be turned off once it starts to boil and the Bullion Cube melts away. I added it in about half at a time while mixing the pot.


Now bring it to a boil and let simmer for approximately 20 minutes. Taste to see how awesome it is.


Ok, it's done. Turn off the heat. I let it cook for about 5 minutes though that is not necessary.

You can use a food processor for this part but I chose to use my blender since it is such a large amount. This part is where you puree everything that you were cooking.


Then it goes back into the pot you were using, or a new one if you want, and let cook at medium low for about 5 minutes. This last step is voluntary, I did it because this is the part where you taste and adjust the Salt/Pepper. I added some more Sea Salt and felt that cooking it a little more would help even it out.


Once done, plate and serve. I chose to add some diced Chives as a garnish. And what is Potato Soup without some bread to dip!?






No comments:

Post a Comment