Saturday, October 13, 2012

Beef Irish Stew

So the other day I threw together a vegetable irish style soup stew thing and that got me thinking about trying the real deal. So today that is just what I did. I really wanted to get lamb meat for the stew, however I could not find any worth getting this week so I chose beef as a replacement. I think it turned out quite well and was a delicious lunch for me today.

Ingredients:
1 lb Beef Stew Meat
1/3 cup Shallots, diced
6 Garlic Cloves, diced
6 Scallions, diced
3 Leeks, sliced
6 Celery Stalks, sliced
10 Carrots, sliced
15 sm Potatoes, halved and quartered
1 can Guinness beer
3 cups Beef Broth
1 can Tomato Paste
Italian Herb Mix
Ground Black Pepper
Sea Salt
Fennel Powder
Fenugreek Powder
Sweet Paprika
1/4 stick Butter
Lowry's Seasoning

I began this recipe by gathering my ingredients.

I then proceeded to slice up the Carrots first. They got the first mixing bowl, which I then added the sliced Celery Stalks and Leeks while topping off with the sliced Scallions.

In another bowl, I put the diced up Shallots and Garlic Cloves.

The third bowl got the halved and quartered Potatoes.


I put a pot on the stove and that is where I put the 3 cups or so of water and a beef bullion cube to make the beef broth. Put the heat on high and mostly cover. It should be ready in a few minutes.

Now, I put this to the side for a second while I threw the meat into the large saucepot with the Butter and a healthy dash of Lowry's. Once the meat was done browing, I took it out into a bowl on the side. Using the liquid still in there, I put in the Garlic Cloves and Shallots. Mix together quite well.

Once the Shallots have begun to caramalize and turn translucent, put the meat back in there.


I let this go for about a minute. Then the vegetable medly bowl had it's contents put into the mix. Then of course mixed together.


Next were the Potatoes. Mix together.


I put in about 1/2 the beef broth. At this point I added the can of Tomato Paste.


Mix it together and add the rest of the beef broth.


Now add the can of delicious Guinness beer. Any stout would do, but Guinness is great so why not that one!


Now let the stew come to a boil, reduce heat to just above simmering and let cook for about an hour.


Taste test at the end to make sure it's done, if not let cook more. Enjoy.





No comments:

Post a Comment