Saturday, October 20, 2012

Spicy Pulled Pork

The other day I sort of decided that I want to make some Pulled Pork again. It's been quite awhile and needed to be revisited. So I went grocery shopping and noticed that it was on sale by the pound. Naturally I picked some up.

DISCLAIMER: THE AMOUNT OF SPICES USED HERE MAKES THIS RIDICULOUSLY HOT AND SPICY! NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART OR STOMACH!!!

Ingredients:
2.5 lbs Pork Loin
1 bottle Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere Harvest (BEER)
Paprika
Ground Cloves
Ground Black Pepper
Garlic Salt
Lawry's Seasoned Salt
Ground Allspice
Chili Powder
Ground Turmeric Root
Fennel Powder
Chipotle Chili Powder
Ancho Chili Powder
Cayenne Chili Powder

I began this by gathering all my spices.


Then I found this delicious bottle of seasonal brew. Yes, I had a second bottle to enjoy while the pork cooked.


In the slow cooker, I made a spice mix. I began with about 2 spoonfuls of the following: Lawry's Seasoned Salt, Garlic Salt, Ground Black Pepper, Ground Turmeric Root, Fennel Powder, Paprika, Ground Cloves, and Ground Allspice. On top of those, I added about 2.5 spoonfuls of the Chipotle Chili Powder, Ancho Chili Powder, and Cayenne Chili Powder. Then I mixed them together.


On top of that, I put in the two Pork Loins. I placed them how they are so as to make a hole in the middle for the spices and beer to meld together easier.


Once the Pork Loins were in, I added a smaller amount of that spice mix to the tops of them. Turn the heat on 'high' now.


Then I added a little big of Beer in the middle hole. It bubbles up from the reactions it has with the spices in there.


Now the rest of the bottle. You will need all of it. If you are using regular bottle sized beer, use at least two bottles.


Now put the lid on and let cook. Take a peak about 2 hours into the cooking process.


That looked tasty, didn't it? I think it did. Well, this recipe takes about 5 hours. I say about since it's a rough estimate depending on the slow cooker, type of beer used, and if you switch it from HIGH to LOW or vice versa.

Check it again a few hours later. Your entire home should smell like the Pork.


Such a change from that darker muddy brown color before to a bright reddish hue! Step back when opening the slow cooker. That spice aroma will kill you!

Alright, to taste it I took a tip off of one of them and it was delicious. So I unplugged the slow cooker and took out the Pork Loins. This is what they looked like right away:


I cut one apart, this is what it looks like. Shows that I could have taken off a little bit sooner, however still moist and deliciously spicy.


I know there are more than a few different ways to actually eat the Pulled Pork I have created, however I prefer to eat it 'straight'. As in I like to just put it on a plate and eat it. Some Asiago Cheese never hurt it either. Enjoy.





No comments:

Post a Comment