Sunday, August 5, 2012

French Onion Soup

I know most restaurants I go to have this as available as soup, including the one I worked at way back when. That soup generally comes pre-made in a bag and is bland if you ask me. So I make my own now, which I have found to be a very easy thing to do.

Ingredients:
1 Red Onion
1 White Onion
Italian Herb Mix
1/3 bar of Herbed Butter
2 cloves of Garlic
Beef Broth (I used pre-made stuff)
Cheese (Optional)





Grab a larger saucepan and put it on the stove with the heat at medium-high. Add in the butter. Let the butter melt and move it around to cover the bottom of the saucepan. Turn the heat down to just below medium at this point, we don't want to burn anything.

While the butter is melting, let's get to the onions. Wash them off, peel them, and then dice them up into whatever size you want the onions in the soup to be. I chose kind of smaller on the size, but that's because when you put the onions into the saucepan, the smaller the size the quicker they caramelize(which is what we need done).


Once you put the onions into the saucepan, you add in a few pinches of the Italian Herb Mix and the Garlic(minced preferably). Stir this all around until the onions are caramelized(you can see through the white ones mostly).


Then you add in the beef broth. Since I used the pre-made stuff, I used the whole container. If you use a bullion cube, I'd say about 3 or 4 cups worth?


Mix/stir this together as you add in the broth, then let cook on medium-low for about 5-10 minutes. Stir once in awhile. Then turn off heat and serve. You can add a cheese garnish on top if you so desire. I did, so I used Gruyere and Asiago as a mix.



No comments:

Post a Comment