Monday, August 20, 2012

Flank Steak pt. 2


I decided to cook some Flank Steak again today, it's just so tasty. That and I wanted tasty lunches for the rest of the week rather than go out to get fast food. So I looked in the fridge and made some slight changes to the recipe I used last time.





Ingredients:
1 bottle of Rahr Stormcloud (1 for you too!)
dash of Sea Salt
dash of Indian Spice Mix
healthy dose of Ground Black Pepper
2 tsp of Italian Herbs
1 tsp of Ground Cumin/Coriander
1/2 tsp of Fenugreek Seeds
1/4 cup Roasted Hot Hatch Chilies
1/2 cup diced Red Onion

There is local food store that is called Central Market and I went there last week. I noticed there is a Hatch Chili Festival going on this month complete with containers of roasted chilies, so naturally I bought some since I know I'll use it somewhere.

As per usual, I cut up the steak into 4 pieces to better fit in my large saucepan/skillet. I then put the skillet on the stovetop and poured in 1 bottle of delicious Rahr Stormcloud brew. It smelled amazing, and also produced a lot of foam. Don't worry, it dies off pretty quickly. Once the foam is mostly gone, turn the heat to medium.

To this, I added in all my spices and diced Red Onion. I grabbed one of the Hatch Chilies and cut it up into several smaller pieces and put that in the skillet as well. It should be simmering by now, so stir everything in there to make sure it's mixed well.

Put in the steak a piece at a time. Cover. Let cook for about a minute, then flip them over. You want just enough browning to happen to almost seal the juices in that side.


Let cook for about 5 minutes, then flip again. I did this to try and make sure the cooking was thorough and even. It worked pretty well. Leave them like they are now for approximately 6 minutes, then cut to check if they are cooked to your satisfaction. I aimed for medium/medium-well, I hit the mark perfectly.


I then took the steaks off, sliced them into strips and presented them with a spoonful of the Red Onions from the skillet on top. Looks great, tastes even better.



I then used my Rice Cooker to cook regular white rice and a small pot to cook some frozen vegetables. The rice, vegetables, and steak are now my lunch for the work week. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment