Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Couscous Stuffed Mushrooms

So at work we are having a 'potluck' tomorrow, and I decided that an appetizer style contribution would go over quite well. Everyone who has perused my blog must have noticed my tendencies to cook using mushrooms, so that was where I decided to start. My lunch today was the Indian Spiced Chicken from Sunday and I thought that I should somehow use Couscous with Mushrooms.

The first thing that came to mind was Couscous with Mushrooms mixed in...that could be tasty. But no, that's been done before.

Secondly I thought of making a Mushroom sauce and putting that on the Couscous. Alas, I passed on this idea since this would not be served fresh and I do not want to serve the Couscous all soggy with Mushroom sauce.

So I came upon the idea to reverse the idea process I was using. Why not put the Mushroom as the main part of the dish rather than just a side ingredient!?! Well, I've made a few Stuffed Mushrooms in my day, so I went with that to start it off.

Ingredients:
Couscous (1 cup Couscous :3 cups Water)
2 lb Cremini Mushrooms
1 cup Scallions/Green Onions (diced)
Shredded Cheeses (4 cheese blend)
1/4 stick Butter
1 1/2 cup Sake (Does not include what you drink!)
dash of Teriyaki Sauce
dash of Soy Sauce
dash of Lime Juice
dash of Lemon Juice
2 spoonfuls of Indian Spice Mix*

*Previously mentioned in this very blog!

I began by putting my large saucepan on the stovetop and turned the heat to medium-high. Then I poured in the Sake, Teriyaki Sauce, Soy Sauce, Lime Juice, and Lemon Juice. Then stirred a bit.

Once the temperature got hot enough to almost boil the liquid mix, I put in the 2 spoonfuls of Indian Spice Mix. You don't really have to stir here but I did a little bit. Do not be alarmed by the foamy reaction right away, it will die down quickly. Turn the heat down to just medium.


I then grabbed the Cremini Mushrooms and proceeded to take out their stems. The stems went into a mixing bowl in the fridge to be used for a different recipe(I'm thinking sauce) and the caps go into the saucepan gill side down.


After a minute or two, flip the mushrooms. They should be almost spongey. Once they are spongey feeling, they should be ready to take off. So turn off the heat and do so with a tongs or spoon(easiest way in my opinion).

Now that you have them on a plate or dish, time to put the Couscous in. I used my rice cooker to cook the Couscous and a small spoon to scoop it out and place the Couscous in the Mushrooms. Takes awhile, but is worth it.

I then sprinkled some Shredded Cheese on top, along with an extra sprinkling of the diced Green Onions/Scallions. Now it's ready to serve, Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment