Sunday, August 5, 2012

Doubled Up Mushroom Soup

This is very similar to the previously posted mushroom soup, however some of the recipe has changed. The original posting of mushroom soup was roughly done from a cookbook I have, this one is from memory and with my added flair. Enjoy.

Ingredients:
1/2 stick Herbed Butter
1 lb Shiitake Mushrooms
1 lb White Button Mushrooms
1 White Onion
Italian Herb Mix
Smoked Spanish Paprika
Cumin/Coriander
4 cups Beef Broth (from bullion cube)




I began with my beef bullion cube in a small pot that fits 4 cups water. Turn the heat up to high to get it mixed quickly.

With a large saucepan that I put the butter into and turned to medium heat. I then diced up the White Onion. I threw this into the saucepan when the butter had started to melt, which is quite quickly.


After this, I diced up the Shiitake Mushrooms by hand and threw them in there on top. Stir to mix well. I sliced up the White Button Mushrooms and threw them in the saucepan. Stir well. Put the Italian Herb Mix on top, I'd say about 2 spoonfuls. Stir. Same amount with the cumin/coriander. Stir. A pinch or two of Paprika to round it out, stir it in.


After a few minutes of stirring the mushrooms and onions around, check to see if the onions have caramelized. Once they are, grab your pot of beef broth and pour it in. I suggest stirring while doing this if possible, or just a cup or so at a time.


Turn off the heat for the pot where you had your beef broth, you won't need it anymore. Turn the heat down on the saucepan to medium-low and cover. Stir occasionally for 5 to 10 minutes. Turn off and serve.


2 comments:

  1. This soup was great!!!!! Love the mascot!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Mascot is named after the pet Vietnamese Pot Bellied Pig I had as a pet when I was a child!

    ReplyDelete