Sunday, July 29, 2012

Steak and Couscous

Today I thought some flank steak would be good for an early lunch. Well, just having steak without anything with it is never the smart thing to do, at least if you ask me. So I decided to utilize my rice cooker and cook up some tasty couscous.

Ingredients:
For Couscous:
Pearl Couscous
Water
Sea Salt
Herb Mix

For Steak:
Flank Steak
Herbed Butter
Lowry's Seasoning
Garlic Salt

I'll start with the couscous since I stated that first. In the little 'instructions' manual for my Rice Cooker, there are several recipes and cook times. I just used the one for Pearl Couscous, which is 1.5 cups couscous to 3 cups water. Also added the sea salt and mix of italian herbs in and stirred it all together. Then just click the button to cook and it will turn off to warm when it's cooked properly. So simple, so great.

The flank steak is one of my favorite cuts of meat available. I generally prefer very lean cuts of meat, and this one doesn't necessarily follow that but everything gets cooked off quite readily. I cut the steak into 3 strips since I do not have a grill to cook it on, just a skillet.

I put probably 1/3 stick worth of herbed butter in there and turned the heat to medium. I got the herbed butter at Central Market (local awesome food supermarket). Then I covered one side of the steak with Lowry's Seasoning. Put the steak in with the Lowry's side down, then lightly cover the top unseasoned side. At this point add some garlic salt in, but beware a little goes a long way.

I'd say about 5 minutes per side with it on medium got it to where I like it, I just took it off and cut it into strips. Added the couscous to the plate and a nice perfect lunch....and since I had a lot of steak leftover from it, I now have lunch for tomorrow while at work! Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment