Thursday, June 28, 2012

Indian Spice, Oriental Nice

So in addition to the Portobello's cooked tonight, I found some large White Button mushrooms causing trouble in my kitchen. They had to be cooked unless total anarchy break out!

I grabbed my cutting board and quickly severed the stems from the mushrooms by hand, placing the stems on the cutting board and caps to the side. Once this was done, I grabbed one of my kitchen knives and proceeded to chop up the stems into small pieces.

At this point, I grabbed my large saucepan (freshly cleaned for some odd reason?) and lined up the liquid portion of what they will be cooked in...sake, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, lime juice, and a small portion of spicy mustard. This all goes into the pan right as I turned on the burner to just above medium. Add the spices in and stir to make sure it mixed properly. Give it about thirty seconds before next step.

Add the diced up mushroom stems, stir into mixture of spices and such.

Leave the stems alone in there and grab your mushroom caps. Place these all gill side down. Cover saucepan. Proceed to have a drink or water (or something stronger perhaps?) because cooking is hard work!

Ok, your minute is up. Now uncover the mushrooms and flip them over so the gills face upwards. Leave it uncovered and enjoy the aroma fill your kitchen and beyond.

Let them cook this way until they are spongy, then take off to serve. The stems you mix in with the caps either on top of them or to the side, either way they will be tasty.

Spice Mix:
Oriental Hot Mustard Powder
Ground Tumeric Powder
Ground Black Pepper
Curry Powder
Shredded Tarragon Leaves
Smoked Hot Spanish Paprika
Garlic Salt





No comments:

Post a Comment